my favourite's

Sunday 27 May 2012





Deja Vu
S.Lubna

''WILL YOU NOT LISTEN TO ME?'' he yelled on the top of his voice. A chill ran down my spine.
''Leave my kids alone please Haroon for Allah's sake have mercy. I never spoke anything when you did anything to me. Spare my kids of your wrath please i beg of you'' Maa wept in every breath. Heavy breaths as i could feel them still, being in my room. She begged for mercy, begged and cried repeatedly to her so called 'better half'. But no sign of mercy no silver lining shone in the darkness of evil.
''WILL YOU JUST SHUT UP WOMAN? You have been the cause of all my failures. I used to be so successful, I use to earn enough to provide my family my brothers my mother and even to fill you and your kids' filthy mouths. But you had to cast your omen on me, didn't you? And today you stand up to me, YOU HAVE THE GUTS TO STAND UP TO ME when i am teaching our children to be polite? YOU HAVE NO RIGHT TO STAY HERE!!'' he barked with his aged might and pulled my mother with her hair.
I gulped in an uncertain lump of emotions pouring out from my heart. It was like a movie, being telecast again, a scene i'm watching again. A deja vu, of an event fifteen years ago.

I was ten. Too young to understand most things. The age where the kids have the apathy of having the best bag in class, i had the tension to be good to avoid the fights between my parents.
''SAVE MEE ASMAAA SAVE ME!!'' I heard Maa's scream. Too loud to be unheard. I ran back in our house leaving my hopscotch midway. The voice got louder as i approached my home. ''Save me ASMA save me please!'' she begged to a ten year old. I looked at her. Her face had turned red. As she had turned when she gave birth to my youngest brother Luqman. It wasn't long ago. May be some weeks back. Yet that didn't seem the cause she was crying. She was in pain. I could see that. I could see a lot more than that which i never wished to see.
She was still screaming. Mourning. ''ASMAAA...'' her call was turning into a cry. A weep. As i saw Abbu pull her by her hair.

He was yelling something. But i didn't bother to hear. I was scared of him. Since always. I stood near the door fearing to be his other victim. Yet i wanted to save Maa.
Asia, my baby sister, she caught my shirt in fear. She too was scared.
I looked down at her. She didnt look normal. She was trembling. In fear and fever too. I tried consoling her but before i could say anything, we heard a big blow.
I snapped back to see Abbu slap Maa with his belt, his hand, and every cruel tool possible.
Maa screamt louder and Asia started crying. As loud as Maa.
I could bear it no more. I could see Maa bleed. Her fair skin turning red. Her brown eyes fading in tears. Her wounds turning green grey and black.
I was terrified. Horrified to the limit i could be.
How i wish i was strong enough, big enough to save my mother. She was in sheer pain. And i could do nothing.
I caught Asia's had and ran back out to get help. I couldn't leave her alone in that den. With a hunter on the loose, hungry for blood. I just couldn't.
We ran here and there, not knowing what to do. Not knowing whom to ask help from. We ran here and there.

''ASMAA!'' the same cry brought me back to the Deja Vu. I saw a belt in Abbu's hands. His intentions didnt look pure. Asia caught my dress. I looked at her. The fear in her eyes was no more alive. All that i could see was agony. Hate against the act that was about to happen.
No i was scared, scared to look up and see the belt slap my mother's body. I couldn't let it happen again. But it was too late.
Before i could give birth to my thoughts, i heard the blow.
We ran out of the room. Me Asia and Luqman.
We could not bear his wrath on Maa anymore.
''Abbu!'' Asia screamt on the top of her voice.
I ran and hugged Maa to absorb myself any blow that would now harm her.
Abbu raised his belt to hit Asia too. But he could not sway. Luqman held his aged arms wit his adolescent strength and snatched away the belt.
''She is our mother!'' Asia was in tears. ''She bore enough for twenty-five years Abbu, not anymore!'' she forced the words from her heavy throat.
Maa and her three children were now on one side of the LOC. And Abbu on the other side.
I saw him drop down astounded for he just couldn't believe that his kids raised up swords against him.
I guess he realised, what he sowed as the fruit that bloomed was not of his choice but of his orchard.

“You who believe! It is not lawful for you to inherit women by force. Nor may you treat them harshly so that
you can make off with part of what you have given them, unless they commit an act of flagrant indecency.
Live together with them correctly and courteously.
If you dislike them, it may well be that you dislike something in which ALLAH has placed a lot of good.” (4:19)

https://www.facebook.com/islamicinspiringwords

No comments:

Post a Comment